8.11.2007

Catalina Island, Here we Come...


I am SO excited! Originally, Brian and I were going to go down to Southern California on Labor Day weekend to go camping, surf, kayak, realx, etc. It was going to be nice because it would have been the longest we had ever stayed down there, other than the Holidays, because of Labor day on Monday and we were going to take a paid day off on Tuesday. Only bummer was that we couldn't find any open campsites for that whole time, let alone even a couple nights, and we realized we didn't have a way to get his surfboard down there! And when I say we couldn't find any campsitres open, I mean NOTHING! I am talking from San Onofre, San Clemente, up to Malibu, Huntington.Everywhere! Scratch that idea. We were both hugely disappointed and slightly depressed!
I had tried to look for places up here, but nothing was appealing to me...no beach, actually no water all, and if there was it would be freezing, that's pretty much it! We love to camp near the beach or a lake to do water activities...paddle boat, surf, kayak, etc. We just felt like it wouldn't be as worth the money to settle for something up here, where it would be cold near the water. I was to the point where I had stopped looking, not to my satisfaction.

Let me brief you as to why we were & are so set on going somewhere...I, and I am sure Brian is as well, to a point of exhaustion...everything is in repeat mode in the areas of work and our marriage. Go to work, be completely and utterly annoyed by the boss day in and day out, come home and vent on the spouse (this is more on my part), make dinner, try to work out at least 3 times a week (we didn't do one this week) after work, shower & go to bed...repeat. repeat. repeat. I told Brian we need rejuvination in our lives...we need to recharge our worn out batteries.

Sometimes you just get so caught up in life with what needs to get done, what bills need to be paid, where to be at what time, how many more days of work this week do I have, did we work out enough this week, feel guilty, what to cook for dinner, etc. With all those things, it is so repetative, that you forget the other person living with you is your spouse, not your friend that you can ignore when you aren't feeling like being nice. We just feel like we need to get away from it all for a few days, as small as it may seem, and recharge our batteries and realize why we love and appreciate eachother so much, without the stresses of daily life.

With all that said, dun-da-duh, we are going to Catalina Island!!! It is actually kind of funny because I was driving to work on Wednesday morning and I was just admiring the beauty of this town we live in, driving down Tassajara Road, and I was feeling a little bummed all of the sudden. Going on a trip was really tugging at me because I feel like Brian and I need alone time away from everything and everyone for a few days. I started to pray, starting off of course with a praise about the beauty of this world, and I went into praying about how I want God to put a place to vacation in my path today so I could book something.

When I got to work I opened the internet browser, like usual, to check e-mail and funny enough there was a link that said in bold...top 9 islands in the U.S. for a quick get-away. Or something like that! Of course I clicked on it and there it was...number ONE on the list...Catalina Island, California. Woo-hoo :) That was SO a God thing. How awesome was that? It sounds so simple and funny, but I was so thankful because I would have never thought to check there. I quickly did a search on camping on the island and found the list. I though for sure everything would be booked out...no doubt in my mind, but it was worth a shot.

Hermit Gulch was the only one open and it only had 4 sites left. Of course I booked it that moment, not checking with Brian first...I knew he would be happy! Next, I booked the boat ride from Long Beach to the Island, and next on my list is to book the kayaks and a glass bottom boat night tour. The tour sounds really cool actually because you are out on the water in the dark of the night and 18,000 watts of light are illuminating the water beneath the boat to see the nightlife down under...& they have feeding tubes to drop food into the water to attract the fish. Anyway, we are both stoked and can't wait to go :) It is like a mini Hawaii...it is beautiful, but very touristy busy unfortunately.

We will keep you posted on plans and updates!!!

No comments: